Monday, September 12, 2016

Making the Most of Consignment Sales

Some of the goodies we snagged from the last consignment sale!

We have had one day within the past two weeks that was under 80 degrees temperature-wise. Still, that one day has given me the sense that Fall and all of the greatness that comes with it is quickly approaching. I have noticed that this time of year is popular for pop-up baby and toddler consignment sales. The sale I visit every year is called Sweet Repeats Consignment, and is held at FUMPM. Their sale for this season runs September 22nd through the 24th. They hold a sale in the Fall and Spring, and I first frequented this sale last Fall with my sweet three-month-old baby. I had no plan or strategy for shopping, I just grabbed whatever was cute (which was, of course, a lot!) and ended up spending close to $100. I learned my lesson that even though these were good deals, if I bought too much of what I didn't actually need I really wasn't saving any money. I devised a better plan for the Spring sale, and will extend that plan to this upcoming season. Below I will list my tips and tricks!

Take Inventory Beforehand 
Even though summer is still very much upon us, last week I went ahead and got Sarah Parker's fall and winter clothes out of storage. I buy the majority of her clothes a year ahead of time at the end of the season when I can benefit from the most sales. I also have been blessed to receive a ton of hand-me-downs, so for the most part Sarah Parker is all set for cooler weather. When I got these clothes out, though, I took note of the few items she didn't have and would need for the Fall. These are the things I am going to be looking for specifically when I get to the consignment shop. For instance, I am constantly on the lookout for dresses since Sarah Parker wears one every Sunday. I know she has some now, but it will be a good idea to buy her more if I find some appropriate ones for a good price at the sale.

Only Get What You Need
By taking inventory of what Sarah Parker already has, I know what she doesn't need. For example, I know she already has two pairs of blue jean leggings. If I see an outfit with blue jean leggings at the sale, I will refrain from buying it- no matter how much I like it. This is a really simple notion, but it is easy to forget when you are sorting through hoards of adorable, discounted baby clothes. On this note, I won't even look at the toys because I know she has more than enough of those. Now, I will say that I do plan on glancing at her next size up- what she will be wearing for the Spring and Summer of 2017. This is a bit trickier as I am in the process of buying those sizes on sale now and haven't taken a complete inventory yet, but if I find something I like at a good price, I won't hesitate in purchasing it, even if it isn't on my "to buy" list.

Stock up on Essentials
Perhaps my favorite use of consignment sales is to buy gently-used essentials for a good price. The best example I have for this is pajamas. I only buy pajamas second-hand because they can be so expensive otherwise, and it doesn't matter what they look like. Some of the PJ's I bought at the last sale had stains or the fabric was pilly, but again it didn't matter because all Sarah Parker was going to use them for was to sleep. Another example of a wardrobe essential I am looking for at this sale is thick tights, which I have found to be hard to find in regular stores. If I don't end up finding exactly what I need, I will simply buy them elsewhere!


I hope these tips are helpful and, if you plan on consignment shopping, I wish the best of luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment